Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Edie gets Lively"- May 30th 2009


Reporter: Thank you so much for meeting with us this morning.

Edie Lively: Oh it’s my pleasure.

Reporter: So let’s get right to it. Susan Boyle and the F-bombs, any comment?

Lively: I guess it’s the age old adage that you can’t judge a book by its cover. I have to say, when she came out on that stage, on that British television show, for the first time, my immediate reaction was “Wow, I bet this woman can sing”, I have to say now, I am pretty disappointed with myself.

Reporter: How so Edie?

Lively: I never, in my wildest of dreams, would have imagined that a woman that looked like that could be capable of such profanity. The whole Susan Boyle phenomenon has been a huge learning lesson for me. I am humbled by how quick I was to judge.

Reporter: I think you speak for us all when you say that, Edie, but let’s move on to a more lighter subject, Sonia Sotomayor- any thoughts?

Lively: Are we still talking about this woman? I just don’t understand all the interest in this Octo-Mom crap, somebody explain this to me, please…Oh, wait- you mean Sotomayor? Obama’s Supreme Court nominee? I apologize, it’s still early for me.

Reporter: That’s quite alright, we understand, we are just thrilled to have the opportunity to talk with you, continue…

Lively: First let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of anyone that has such white teeth, her teeth are great, I am big on straight, white teeth. That said, some of the things she has said in the past, send up a huge red flag for me.

Reporter: Why is that? Do you believe that based on her comments she is the bigoted racist that the Conservative, Right-Wing, Extremists are portraying her to be?

Lively: Absolutely not! But, that said, I don’t think- based on her comments- that she is capable of being unbiased. She made the statement- “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.” Obviously- based on her comment- she feels that she is justified in her personal experiences having some bearing on the law, or that they, in some way should reflect on the decision making process of the Supreme Court. That scares me.

Reporter: So you don’t feel she should be appointed to the Supreme Court, based solely on what she said?

Lively: That’s right, I don’t.

Reporter: Are you saying that she should be judged based on one statement? That this one comment should come between her and a seat on the Supreme Court? You don't feel that is a bit extreme? What if it was taken out of context?

Lively: I know, it seems harsh, but I just say to myself, if she were on a jury selection somewhere, and she would have made that statement, she absolutely would not be allowed to serve on a jury. No way! Could you imagine? It would never happen, so how can she be appointed a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court? What's wrong with this picture, folks? But that does not make her a racist or a bigot. Again, the issue isn’t about the color of a persons skin, it’s about their character, and hers is in question, so she shouldn’t be appointed. I vote no.

Reporter: Well, you have heard it here first. Edie, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to meet with us today, it’s always a great pleasure to speak with you.

Lively: Oh no, the pleasure is all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment