Saturday, April 4, 2009

So, I read that Barack Obama is still smoking-



But I smoked, like I was going to the chair, for over 25 years- so I'm not passing judgement. When I put out the cigarettes, I started chewing the nicotine gum. If it wasn't for the fact that I went to Mexico, ran out of Nicorette 3 days into the trip, and couldn't find a "Farmacia" anywhere that carried it, I would still be chewing that gum like it was my job. I really think I was hooked more on the gum than I ever was on cigarettes. I could chew that gum anywhere without getting looks of disgust. I chewed in the shower, in dressing rooms, on trains, even while getting a mammogram. It was great! Anyway, I'm romancing nicotine right now, and that's not good for me to do, so here are some sobering facts- 
  • Tobacco use remains the leading preventable cause of death in the United States. 430,000 preventable deaths annually.
  • Nicotine contains over 4000 chemicals, 60 are known carcinogins.
  • Only commercial use for nicotine, besides cigarettes, is as pesticide.
  • 29% who try smoking become dependent ( FYI- 2% of people who try cocaine become dependent).
  • 80% want to quit.
Just some of the reasons why they say "there is a flame on one end of a cigarette and a sucker on the other".

Want help quitting or know someone who does? The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have a toll-free hotline!
Call 800.QUIT.NOW (800.784.8669)or visit them on the web at www.smokefree.gov 
To learn more about tobacco and other drugs of abuse, visit the National Institute of Drug Abuse Website at www.drugabuse.gov


             Smoking Sucks, Please Quit.





No comments:

Post a Comment