Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beauty Queen vs Drama Queen

All week long it's been Perez Hilton vs Miss California.
(Does anyone even know who won the pageant?)
Personally, I think Miss Hilton and Miss Cali are the big winners in this whole thing. Both Queens have managed to steal the spotlight and advance their own agendas. You go girls!

But let's keep it real when talking about this whole gay marriage thing.

For many of those opposed to gay marriage, the issue is is not marriage so much as it is homosexuality.
A lot of people (and by a lot, I mean the majority) think homosexuality is immoral. No matter how "accepted" homosexuality is, that is just a fact that has to be recognized when discussing this issue.
A lot of people (and again, I mean the majority) feel if we legitimize gay marriage then we are in some way condoning immoral behavior, thereby damaging the moral fabric of our society. 

(So in order to be fair to everyone I say, "if you are not a moral person you can't get married!"- seriously, think of all the problems that would solve).

For the record, I do not agree with the moral argument.
I may not agree with gay marriage, but it is not because I feel it is a moral issue. 
(PLEASE NOTE: I did not say I don't agree with civil unions for same sex couples).
Why shouldn't gay couples share the same rights (and responsibilities) as heterosexual couples, if that is the commitment they want to enter into? 
Regardless of their sexual orientation, why shouldn't their civil rights be protected? 
Why can't legal kinship between gay couples be established?
Why shouldn't gay couples have the same opportunities to be as miserable as heterosexual couples?






No comments:

Post a Comment